Nov 28, 2009

Procrastination

I'm sure inventing all kinds of procrastination methods to avoid doing my work (including writing blog posts).. it's actually kind of ridiculous. But, I'm much more interested in going out to see things in Rome than I am in being stuck on my computer all the time.

I've made a list of a bunch of things I want to make sure I do before I leave Rome (less than a month? Really? How?). I've then been at least trying to get one thing checked off each day.

Sunday, I wandered around the Janiculum Hill area, and went on a big walk through some of the parks and trails up there. I meant to go to the Tempietto for St. Peter, but I forgot to look up exactly where it is before I left and I didn't see it (apparently, it's pretty much where I entered the area, I just didn't see it. I'll just have to go back).

Monday, I went out to the EUR neighborhood of Rome with Colleen, where there is a lot of fascist architecture and monuments. I don't really know a lot about them, and I should have done the research before I went, but I guess better late than never.

Tuesday, I went somewhere there was supposedly an antique books/prints market, but turns out I'd already been over there and it was really lame. I also tried to go to the Church Santa Cecilia in Trastevere, but I was there during the time when they are closed in the afternoon, so I have to go back. I did find a discoteque called Xanadu, though, which really amused me.

Friday, I headed up to Northern Rome with Collen, and we went up to Quartiere Coppede, which was a funky little neighborhood with a frog fountain and cool buildings. The architecture had all kinds of cool patterns and decorations, and there were also some neat frescoes. It felt a little bit like one of those creepy gated communities, though, since there were all these people that were staring at us, and a couple guys laughing at us for taking some pictures.. it was weird. Then we headed over to MACRO, a contemporary art museum. It was super confusing, we had no clue where to go, really, since there was absolutely no signage. It was set up in a weird way, where you had to go up a flight of stairs, look at small galleries on either side of the stairs, then cross a little skywalk to the other side of the building, for those galleries, then up again, in a back and forth motion. There was a cool interactive piece that was all puzzles that had pictures of atomic bomb explosions, where the number of pieces was directly related to how powerful the explosion was...

Not sure what's on for the rest of the time, but I have plenty of things on my list to choose from..

No comments:

Post a Comment