Aug 29, 2009

LONDON: Day three

There is a mouse in our hostel room. But, oh well, I guess you have to sacrifice a little for really cheap room & board.

The third day, we attempted, again, to see the Changing of the Guards, but when we got there, we learned that it was cancelled for the day... oops. Failed twice at that so far.

We made our way over to the Tate Museum of modern art after that, and I really enjoyed that. I was surprised by how much information I retained from Mickelson and Cunnally's classes, but that was good because I had a much better idea of what I was looking at. I wish I could have seen the Futurism exhibit as well, but we didn't really have too much time for that, and it was a little expensive. I did like seeing the Warhols, and I was excited that they had a Joseph Cornell box.

After the Tate, we walked across the Millennium Bridge. I felt a little bit like an idiot that at first, I couldn't remember the name of the bridge, but more that I recognized it from the Harry Potter movie.... oops. At least now I remember the name? Anyway, I read that it was the first new bridge in London in over a hundred years.. and shortly after they opened it, they had to close it and stabilize it since it swayed when people walked on it.

We took a look at St. Paul's Cathedral, then found some sandwiches. It seems like there are a lot of places around that have pre-made sandwiches for take-away, and they all look fresh and delicious... wish there was more of that around back home.

After the Cathedral, we headed back over to the British Museum. It seemed like everyone but Andrew and I was tired and not too interested, but Andrew and I squeezed in as much more important things as we could.. the Rosetta Stone, Easter Island Statue, Sculpture of Ramses (II?), the oldest object in the museum, the biggest chunk of things from the Parthenon we could see without actually being there, and a few more things. I think I could spend a really long time in that museum.. there's so much to see.

For the evening, we went out to a bar, checked out Chinatown, then went to a really old British Pub.

No comments:

Post a Comment